Dogs, Cats and Other Phenomena

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Max and Nikki

Max's cone came off Tuesday, but I don't think I'll put it back on. He washed himself all over but didn't tear at the stitches - and he's SO much happier with the cone off. He's healing nicely, so all is well on that front. That is, until I have to take him back in to the vet to remove the stitches! I'm hoping that I can hold him and that they can take the stitches out that way. I don't want them to put him under again.

The first photo of Max was taken a few days after he came home from his surgery. He sure didn't feel too good! For two days he hid out in the den. By the 3rd day, he was feeling braver and joined the rest of the cats in the bedroom. The funny thing was that Max felt insecure with the cone on and stayed away from the other 2 cats. Callie didn't want anything to do with him when he had the cone on; she'd stare at him and not come near him! Guess she didn't realize that she looked like this herself a year ago after her surgery! The 2nd photo was taken today as Max was napping. Doesn't he look much improved?

As for Nikki, I took her to training on Tuesday. Could not get Missy into the car. She balked and then laid down on the ground. I almost gave up. Treats didn't work. She got out of her harness (Miz Houdini.) Finally got her in to the car through a different door - the passenger's side in the front. After I got in, she hopped into the back seat all by herself, which surprised me.

When we finally got to class - late, thanks to her - she was very excited and wouldn't sit still so I could put her harness back on. Then she kept laying down on the ground! First time she ever did that! What's with that??

One of the ladies in the class told me it was all about my attitude when I take her leash. (You know me, I'm too nice.) So she took Nikki's leash and told her very business-like to sit. She did. Then she tried to get her to walk - and she laid down on her too!! Now I didn't crow and say, "See!! Told you so!" It was more, "Why is she even doing that with you?" I mean, normally she responds better with others. If it had been a firm man though, I bet she would have listened better.

But seriously, I have a nut on my hands, I swear. Couldn't get her back into the car after class. Talk about dangerous. Dark parking lot, at night. Dog laying down on ground. I tried different doors, etc. Didn't work. I finally got her through the door she normally uses by shoving her butt in - somehow had just the right amount of leverage.

If anyone has good advice on how to get a big, huge dog into the car without a fuss, please let me know. I thought she was afraid or something, but it's not that. It's all about who is boss.

Guess it's back to the Gentle Leader for her. And yes, I have lots of fodder for a book - or at least an article - so I guess getting Nikki might finally get me started on that writing career I've always been contemplating! :-D

3 Comments:

  • Nikki sounds so much like Charlie, that it's spooky! Dog that *will* be the boss of all.

    By Blogger Charlie, at 10:11 AM  

  • Forgot to ask - is Nikki treat-oriented? What gets Charlie back in the car is a treat (throw it in the car and he jumps in after it). But it only seems to work from a standing position. If he's doing the lie-down-and-refuse-to-move thing, I have to get him up & moving generally first.

    By Blogger Charlie, at 10:31 AM  

  • Charlie and Dad,

    Tried to find your blog but to no avail. I did try that with Nikki (treats) but it only worked once. Finally, I got another squeaky ball (her favorite) and I keep it in the car. I had a hard time getting her in the car tonight but she finally did it. And she didn't lie down once!

    By Blogger 4 Cats & 2 Goldens, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home