Dogs, Cats and Other Phenomena

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Update!

Read yesterday's post (the one below this one) before reading this update.

8:15 a.m. - It's a little after 8 o'clock and the Garden Grove Dog & Cat Hospital called. Nikki had several things in her vomit: several pieces of orange plastic (the toy), electrical wiring, copper wiring and 2 shoe laces. To the last two items, I say this: Huh?? I have no idea where she got copper wiring and shoe laces.

They did a 2nd x-ray and all looks clear. They're keeping her until 2 PM to ensure that she can keep food down and they'll clean her up for me. I'm to call first before going to pick her up, however.

All I can say is that when I find that Nikki has destroyed something, I have to assume that she has eaten it, which means another trip to the vet for x-rays and probable vomiting. The plastic toy pieces would have been no big deal as she would have been able to pass them, but if the other items had gone through her system, she would have had to have surgery.

6:50 p.m. - Picked her up around 5 p.m. as she wasn't dry earlier (they washed her.) The electrical wiring was the extension cord that she ate and the copper wiring most likely came from my mom's 40-year-old-lamp ... she had stripped it. O-K. So I know where she got everything but the shoe laces. (Again, the cats??)

When she was weighed yesterday, she was 73.1 lbs., which was a 2 lb. increase since I had her weighed 8 days ago, which didn't seem right. So either the scale was set wrong or all that stuff she ate weighed her down. Today she was 70.7 lbs., which is a slight weight loss from 71.1 lbs. on the 10th. That makes more sense.

I asked the doctor if she was overweight, and he said no. She's on I/D for a couple of days; she needs to be on a bland diet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home