Dogs, Cats and Other Phenomena

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Nikki and Callie

Well, I picked Nikki up today from the vet. The poor thing had to stay overnight as she was spayed yesterday. So now she wears a great big cone and careens around like a drunken sailor. I'll be dealing with my big cone-head for 10 days. Then the stitches come out.

When I went to pick her up, I commented that she'd probably be fairly quiet today but I was quickly corrected. "No, that was yesterday!" This gave me pause, I tell you. It seems that Nikki was back to her very excitable self already. It must be pretty bad when the entire veterinarian's office comments on her behavior. Seems that every time someone walked by her cage, she jumped up and down. Of course! That's my girl. And when they brought her out to me, she walked into a wall. I called her name, she ran over to me, and crashed her cone into my leg. Ouch! She was fine but I'm not so sure about my leg.

She was so happy to be home and played with her toys immediately. But soon she was very tired. I could tell she didn't feel quite as chipper as I thought she was. Poor thing.

The irony to all of this is, of course, the timing. I had been anticipating Nikki's first exposure to rain, specifically getting her to go outside to pee in the rain. Would she or wouldn't she? Well, it finally rained - T-storms no less - but where was Nikki? Overnight at the vet. Oh well. Next time.

Weight Update: she now weighs 41.7 lbs. Her growth has slowed down a bit, which can only be a good thing!

Callie seems to be doing fine so far. I was waiting for a call back from the oncologist as he was going to touch base with Dr. LaRue in CO re: her course of treatment. When I got home from Nikki's play date, I had a voice mail waiting for me from All Care. Seems Callie is a candidate for radiation, which is sure better than lopping off her nose! They needed my permission to email Callie's MRI to Dr. LaRue, so I called them back. No call back. I called them today and left another message.

When I went in to pick up Nikki at Garden Grove Dog & Cat Hospital, Dr. Malo (the doc that gave me Callie's diagnosis) came in to talk to me about Nikki. He had a sad look on his face, which I didn't understand until he asked me for an update on Callie (he knows how much she means to me). I told him that I couldn't get a call back from All Care so he said he'd fix that. He joked that they were scared of him. He got on the phone and instructed them to call me today, no matter what, before midnight. I got a call back at 7 PM! I didn't get to ask all of my questions as the oncologist is still out of town but I instructed them to email the MRI to Dr. LaRue. The doctor I talked to said that a problem could occur if there is one cell that metastasizes. They wouldn't know it until it showed up elsewhere in the body (sigh).

All Care will be in touch with me again when they get a radiation plan going. So in the meantime, Callie is happy to be home. The funny thing is that she runs and hides when she sees me pick up my purse. She thinks I'm taking her to the vet. Smart kid!


  • I arrived at your post through "eye of the storm" blog. I'm a cat lover and lucky have never had to deal with a severe illness yet with my cat. I hope Callie gets the treatment she needs and that the melanoma doesn't spread. Be glad she seems to like traveling, my cat can barely handle the two mile drive to the vet's office.

    By Blogger runlolarun, at 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home